Re: PGPASSWORD - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From postgresbugs
Subject Re: PGPASSWORD
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Bruce Momjian wrote:
 type="cite">
  postgresbugs wrote:

    Oliver Jowett wrote:

      postgresbugs wrote:

        The functionality provided by PGPASSWORD should not be removed unless
there is a functionality other than .pgpass, which is fine for some
uses and not for others, that will provide similar functionality.
That could be psql and pg_dump and the like accepting a password on
the command line as I stated earlier.

Putting the password on the command line would be even more of a
security problem than PGPASSWORD is now. I agree that an alternative
to ,pgpass would be useful, but it needs to be a *secure* alternative.

-O

    That may be true. Again, I think the option to use or not use PGPASSWORD
or something similar should be up to the system administrator.

I have updated the docs to read "not recommended":

  authentication.  This environment variable is not recommended for security

Thanks.
John Griffiths