Re: Data loss, vacuum, transaction wrap-around - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Data loss, vacuum, transaction wrap-around
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> There is no news in the problem you're complaining of. It's completely
> known and documented. You've stated before that you've been using
> PostgreSQL for years - why is this suddenly so urgent that we have to
> drop everything and backpatch old releases? Please move along, there's
> nothing to see here, these are not the bugs you've been looking for.

To be fair to Mark, there does seem to be an increasing number of
reports of this issue. In spite of the in-the-works fix for 8.1, it
would be a pity to see customers losing data from xid wrap-around.

However the quandary is this : even if we did back patches for every
version, said customers probably wouldn't know they needed to apply them
- hmmm, not much help there. We might be better off merely announcing
the need to use vacuumdb on www.postgresql.org!

regards

Mark (the other one)