GiST indexes and concurrency (tsearch2) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Marinos J. Yannikos
Subject GiST indexes and concurrency (tsearch2)
Date
Re: GiST indexes and concurrency (tsearch2)  (Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au>)
Re: GiST indexes and concurrency (tsearch2)  (Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su>)
List pgsql-performance
Hi,

according to
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/limitations.html ,
concurrent access to GiST indexes isn't possible at the moment. I
haven't read the thesis mentioned there, but I presume that concurrent
read access is also impossible. Is there any workaround for this, esp.
if the index is usually only read and not written to?

It seems to be a big problem with tsearch2, when multiple clients are
hammering the db (we have a quad opteron box here that stays 75% idle
despite an apachebench with concurrency 10 stressing the php script that
uses tsearch2, with practically no disk accesses)

Regards,
  Marinos
--
Dipl.-Ing. Marinos Yannikos, CEO