Re: Best filesystem for PostgreSQL Database Cluster under Linux - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Pete de Zwart
Subject Re: Best filesystem for PostgreSQL Database Cluster under Linux
Date
List pgsql-performance
Thanks for the info.

I managed to pull out some archived posts to this list from the PostgreSQL
web site about this issue which have helped a bit.

Unfortunatly, the FS has been chosen before considering the impact of it on
I/O for PostgreSQL. As the Cluster is sitting on it's on 200GB IDE drive for
the moment and the system is partially live, it's not feasable to change the
underlying file system without great pain and suffering.

In the great fsync debates that I've seen, the pervasive opinion about
journalling file systems under Linux and PostgreSQL is to have the
filesystem mount option data=writeback, assuming that fsync in PostgreSQL
will handle coherency of the file data and the FS will handle metadata.

This is all academic to a point, as tuning the FS will get a small
improvement on I/O compared to the improvement potential of moving to
SCSI/FCAL, that and getting more memory.

    Regards,

        Pete de Zwart.