Re: Thoughts on the mirroring system etc - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Thoughts on the mirroring system etc
Date
List pgsql-www
Magnus Hagander wrote:
 > Dave Page wrote:
<snip>
>>The major problem with wwwmaster is that we need multimaster
>>replication to handle it properly, without having a single point of
>>failure. Slony 1 will not resolve that basic issue.
>
> No, I beleive you can solve this. Let's assume we don't care if we can't
> add/remove news and events. AFAIK, then the database is almost only
> INSERTs right - answers to surveys, redirect logging etc?
> For this, create two tables, say "log1" and "log2". Where one of the
> servers each own one table, and only writes to that one. You set up two
> sets of slony replications, one in each direction. Then you create a
> view that is a UNION ALL of these, that's the one used when you read
> from the table.

This would work.

It would also allow for transient individual server failure(s) and keep
the "web presence" going strongly too.  Given working with a small
number of independent servers (i.e. 5 or 6), this should also scale for
what we need too.

Good thinking Magnus.  :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
"One who sees the invisible can do the impossible."
  + Frank Gaines