Re: v8.0 downloads? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jean-Paul Argudo
Subject Re: v8.0 downloads?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Jeff Davis wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, I'd be interested to see download stats of
> PostgreSQL.
>
> Did 8.0 make a big splash? I was thinking it might attract a large
> number of win32 users over the next week or so.

linuxfr.org is surely the most visited French Linux news site. Yesterday
they published the pg 8 out announce there:

http://linuxfr.org/2005/01/19/18116.html

they put PostgreSQLFr.org in one of the three links, as the french PG
site, our site has daily 200-400 visits. After they published, we had
1800+ visits yesterday!..

Here is a picture representing the load of our server:

http://niclux.org/files/load-postgresqlfr.png

No need to say the server has been overloaded and not really usable for
a couple of hours... :)

Since the server is hosted on a Open Brick (tiny machine!), freely by a
friend of mine, I did post on linuxfr.org pg 8 out page to apologize a
bit saying we need a server for postgresqlfr.org hosting, since its
becoming more and more visited...

This post gave me many feedback, many ppl told me its okay to host our
site... We will study those offers on feb 1 2005 at Solutions Linux
2005. This day we will all sign the papers for the real launch of
PostgreSQLFr.org non-lucrative organization.

But what we would like is having our own server, being root there. We
have many services to set up on it: www, mail, news, download area, wiki...

So as a conclusion, Im certain of yesterday's download: I assume PG 8
has been *massively* downloaded! :)

I let Marc G Fournier confirm that with real numbers :)

Cya!

PostgreSQLFr.org, current configuration:
  - Apache 1.3.26
  - old Drupal : 4.4.2
  - old PostgreSQL: 7.2
  - old PHP4
  - geode little proc :)
  - 256 mb ram
  - a laptop hard disk :)

Plz remember, Im not root on this machine, this explain old fashioned
versions! :)

--
Jean-Paul Argudo
www.PostgreSQLFr.org