Re: fix for windows breakage in regression script - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: fix for windows breakage in regression script
Date
List pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:

>"Andrew Dunstan" <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
>

>>Tom Lane said:
>>

>>>[ scratches head... ]  Why isn't the #undef in pg_config_manual.h
>>>firing on Cygwin?
>>>

>>But on Cygwin, WIN32 is only defined if windows.h has been included (See
>>previous discussion - I recall advocating NOT using WIN32 as a marker for
>>just this reason).
>>

>Urgh ... so it's only because windows.h isn't included till later that
>it works properly.

It's a lot more subtle than that :-( .  In most cases we end up
including windows.h _only_ if WIN32 is already defined, as it is for us
by the compiler on MinGW.

see: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-09/msg00206.php
and http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-09/msg00256.php

w.r.t. Cygwin / unix sockets, the test is in port/cygwin.h, and says:

#if CYGWIN_VERSION_DLL_MAJOR < 1001
#undef HAVE_UNIX_SOCKETS
#endif

I don't know how old that is.

>I'm not sure that we need the code in pg_config_manual.h anymore anyway
>--- the configure test should be covering this.  But just before release
>is no time to be fooling with such things.

agreed.

>I did add cygwin to the unix_socket=no case in pg_regress, and I'm
>inclined to leave it that way because it's really the minimal change
>from the script's previous behavior on cygwin.  Do you see a strong
>reason for undoing that?

Well, nothing seems broken - see buildfarm. And if it ain't broke .../

cheers

andrew
/