Re: Transaction size - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: Transaction size
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> Alban Hertroys <alban@magproductions.nl> writes:
>
>>Is it possible that there is some limitation to the number of statements
>>in a single transaction?
>
> 2^32, and if you'd exceeded it, you'd get a very specific error message
> saying so.

Well, that's a relief. At least it means I'm not running into some limit
of my favourite database.

>>As they're inserts, and therefore not even touching the same data, I'm
>>quite certain it's not some kind of row locking issue (does that even
>>happen at all with MVCC?).
>
> I'm not.  In particular this could be a foreign key locking issue ---
> does the target table have foreign keys, and if so could inserts from
> different transactions be referencing the same master row?

It does have a reference to a table with statusses, but those are rather
static. I suppose an integrity check is comparable to doing a select
with respect to locking strategies? (Meaning that it wouldn't be the
cause of my problem).

Regards,
Alban Hertroys.