Re: Low Performance for big hospital server .. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Low Performance for big hospital server ..
Date
List pgsql-performance
amrit@health2.moph.go.th wrote:

>max_connections = 160
>shared_buffers =  2048      [Total = 2.5 Gb.]
>sort_mem  = 8192   [Total = 1280 Mb.]
>vacuum_mem = 16384
>effective_cache_size  = 128897 [= 1007 Mb. = 1 Gb.  ]
>Will it be more suitable for my server than before?

I would keep shared_buffers in the 10000->20000 range, as this is
allocated *once* into shared memory, so only uses 80->160 Mb in *total*.

The lower sort_mem will help reduce memory pressure (as this is
allocated for every backend connection) and this will help performance -
*unless* you have lots of queries that need to sort large datasets. If
so, then these will hammer your i/o subsystem, possibly canceling any
gain from freeing up more memory. So there is a need to understand what
sort of workload you have!

best wishes

Mark