Re: production server down - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: production server down
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Joe Conway wrote:

>> So one thing I'd strongly suggest is stopping Postgres and dismounting
>> the NFS server to see what's under there.  If there is a valid-looking
>> PGDATA directory under there, you definitely want to get rid of it to
>> reduce the risk of this happening again.
>>

> Perhaps we should purposefully place a root owned placeholder file
> there -- that way Postgres would refuse to start at all in this scenario.
>
> BTW, the init script is indeed the one which automatically does initdb:

ISTM that this should ideally be a sysconfig setting that is picked up
by the init script.

In the absence of that, in your case, certainly the root-owned
placeholder is a good idea - it seems nicer than disabling on-boot
startup altogether if you can avoid that.

cheers

andrew