Re: 3rd RFD: comp.databases.postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: 3rd RFD: comp.databases.postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/3/2004 4:12 PM, Mike Cox wrote:
> Jan Wieck wrote:
>> So how exactly do you think that big number of non-developer advanced
>> PostgreSQL users will populate the comp.* groups? I don't see them there
>> right now, and without them the comp.* groups are the wrong groups
>> because you will not get answers to questions there.
>
> Look at this poll.
>
> http://scripts.postgresql.org/survey.php?View=1&SurveyID=36

The question is only about _an official newsgroup_. To contradict my
statement above, the survey question would have to ask about _an
official comp.* group NOT gated to the mailing lists_. And it would also
have to point out who already said very clearly that and why they would
stay on the mailing lists only.

Interpreting this survey result as

"a large number of experienced and advanced PostgreSQL users would
consider to move to a newsgroup where their questions will not be read
by Tom Lane, Stephen Szabo (and many other key players who said NO to
this on the mailing list already)"

is IMHO a too far strech.

Jan