Re: Ready for RC1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Ready for RC1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12/2/2004 8:16 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
>> > One more issue.  Until we start RC, patches that are bug fixes will
>> > continue to be applied.  Do we want that?  By going RC we are basically
>> > saying we need to focus on docs and packaging and we perhaps can keep
>> > fixes for 8.0.1.
>>
>> In my mind "RC" means "only critical bug fixes" --- ie, just because
>> it's a bug fix doesn't mean it won't be held for later.  But RC doesn't
>> mean "no changes, period".  It means we're trying to test the thing
>> without any more code churn than absolutely necessary.
>>
>> The real problem at the moment is that we should have been in an "only
>> bug fixes" mode for some time already, and you just pushed in two or
>> three patches that look more like feature additions to me (and I gather
>> to Peter as well).  *That* is the reason people are getting antsy about
>> whether we are RC-ready.
>
> I honestly can't tell whether these are bug fixes or not, especially the
> encoding changes, so I put them in the queue and when no one says
> anything I apply them.

And that policy is wrong, IMHO. Put patches on the queue and apply them
if nobody objects should be the default while we are in development. We
were in beta5 and just agreed on getting ready for RC1, which means that
the default action is not to apply it unless it is proven that it is a
bugfix and only a bugfix with no feature slipping in together with a fix.

Jan