Re: multiline CSV fields - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: multiline CSV fields
Date
Re: multiline CSV fields  (Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>)
Re: multiline CSV fields  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers

Greg Stark wrote:

>Personally I find the current CSV support inadequate. It seems pointless to
>support CSV if it can't load data exported from Excel, which seems like the
>main use case.

OK, I'm starting to get mildly annoyed now. We have identified one
failure case connected with multiline fields. Even in the multiline
case, I expect that the embedded newlines will usually match those of
the CSV file, in which case there will be no failure. It's a very big
step from there to the far more general "can't load data exported from
Excel". Or did you have some other limitation in mind?

FWIW, I don't make a habit of using multiline fields in my spreadsheets
- and some users I have spoken to aren't even aware that you can have
them at all.

cheers

andrew