Re: New feature request - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: New feature request
Date
List pgadmin-support
Gino Lucrezi wrote:
> Hi!
>
> There are some instances when one can't simply REPLACE an object (e.g. a view) but has to DROP it and then re-CREATE
it.WhenI click on the SQL button pgAdmin, very considerately, will create for me not only a script with the CREATE
command,but also with the DROP command (commented) before it.

> The problem arises if there are objects which depend on the object being DROPped and reCREATEd. Obviously, that
scriptis no longer good. One must first DROP all depending objects, drop the main object, recreate it, and then
recreatedepending objects.

> It would be really nice if there were an option to create a SQL script doing all this ;-)

In most cases, the property dialogs will make the changes for you. The
reengineered SQL window shows the CREATE command only, and doesn't try
to cope with changes.
We will add some dependency recreation stuff for ALTER COLUMN for 7.3
and 7.4 servers, but probably not more.

Regards,
Andreas