Re: Test database for new installs? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: Test database for new installs?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Andreas,
>

>>- Usage of varchar for key column
>

> And?  Varchar is somehow implicitly inferior for keys?
>
> Watch it ... you're about to hit one of my "abuses of SQL" pet-peeves, the
> overuse on INT surrogate keys ...

You might be right for small dbs, but a temperature database will likely
contain millions of rows, if filled in the real world. varchar will
probably make the table several times bigger than needed.

Additionally, I regretted *every* case where I decided to use some text
data as key, sooner or later.

Regards,
Andreas