Re: Vote on Omar Design - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Omar Kilani
Subject Re: Vote on Omar Design
Date
List pgsql-www
Josh,

> Alexey, Marc,
>
> Link to Omar's design: http://postgresql.tinysofa.com
>
>>These tasks are orthogonal. Most of the pages would fit in any design and I
>>doubt Omar did any changes to them at all when "porting".
>
> OK, cool.    I was mistaken then.

"Most" of the pages do fit any design. A lot of our changes don't.

The bit about not making changes is completely untrue, however, as can
be evidenced by the patch Gavin committed (fixed up headings, content,
etc) and some major content changes that we've made to give the site a
more standardised, logical structure and enrich the content of the site.

>>I took a look at http://postgresql.tinysofa.com and it looks like the site
>>has all the current content ported to the new[er] design, including
>>advocacy stuff.
>>
>>Thus +1 for Omar's design.
>
> Keen.

As well as developer stuff, and docs stuff, and events reorganisation,
and implementing a navigation element...

>>I have some doubts that Omar is a native English
>>speaker and will be able to write content.
>
> Omar is from Australia.  ;-)

Me no English?

>>The patches he sent are orthogonal to the design, ask him if you don't
>>believe me.
>
> OK, good.

Of course they are. That's why I sent them as patched against pgweb.

However, creating patches related to the restructuring of content is a
major pain and thus a waste of time to do, since it is navigation dependent.

The point is, the content follows the design, because you need to
logically group the content. I got the second level navigation stuff
going last night, where it dynamically adds the navigation to every
section, and having an easily editable navigation allowed me to quickly
move content around because it allows you to visualise what to move
where very quickly.

>>There *of course* wasn't any spec document (who do you think we are?) but
>>there were discussions on that particular issue, back in spring I think.
>
> Ok, I missed those.    I think we need a design document; I'd imagine that
> Omar and others have become kind of frustrated trying to guess at a spec they
> can't read.

The design *is not meant to stretch*. Dave's original requirement (and
just referencing Dave saying something [to us, even, after the fact] as
conclusive proof of a discussed requirement doesn't mean it makes sense)
was to fit in 800x600. No mention of stretchy.

Not to mention that stretchy doesn't really make any sense anyway. You
get things like paragraphs spanning 1 line, which is much harder to read
than if it was in the middle of your screen and spanning a couple.
There's a reason why our design follows current web design mantra, and
that's because it makes sense.

In either case, the design was designed on 1280x1024, I'm looking at it
right now and it looks good -- I don't even notice the white space
around the center column. Mainly because every other website does
exactly the same thing. Your eyes are trained to focus on the center of
the screen. And follow text across multiple lines. There's a reason
newspapers have columns of small width and many lines.

Not to mention that the current Lucasz design is at 90% width anyway. So
on the 800x600 it's even smaller than ours. 765 versus 720.

>>Speaking of which, if Omar wants to "be around", he should register a gborg
>>account and convince Dave to add him as a pgweb project developer.
>
> Omar?

Isn't gborg meant to be replaced with pgFoundry?

Anyway, I'm 'omar'. And I wish gborg used something a bit better than
CVS, though. :)

>>What I want to see Omar work on is 1)Resolving the banner ads issue,
>>> 2)Resolving the stretchy issue, and 3) Working up a patch to implement
>>> his design against current CVS.
>
> Those are pretty concrete.  Omar, got a response?

1) Never an issue, if you bothered to click past the front page. The ads
have and always have been there, from the date of submission. From my
original email:

"By clicking "About", you can see the design for the section navigation
and the sponsor box."

2) As above.

3) http://postgresql.tinysofa.com/files/ has it tarred up. diff away,
since it's not possible to diff in new images, etc.

Omar