Re: Restricting Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Matt Clark
Subject Re: Restricting Postgres
Date
List pgsql-performance

>     A note though : you'll have to turn off HTTP persistent
> connections in  your server (not in your proxy) or youre back to
> square one.

I hadn't considered that.  On the client side it would seem to be up to
the client whether to use a persistent connection or not.  If it does,
then yeah, a request every 5 seconds would still just hold open a
server.  One more reason to use a proxy I s'pose.

>> It's clear that this discussion has moved way away from PG!  Although
>> in  the context of DB backed web apps I guess in remains a bit
>> on-topic...
>

>     I find it very on-topic as
>     - it's a way to help this guy solve his "pg problem" which was iin
> fact a  design problem
>     - it's the future of database driven web apps (no more reloading
> the  whole page !)
>
>     I think in the future there will be a good bit of presentation
> login in  the client...

Not if Bruno has his way ;-)