PostgreSQL.org Design Proposal - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Omar Kilani
Subject PostgreSQL.org Design Proposal
Date
Re: PostgreSQL.org Design Proposal  (Mitch Pirtle <mitch.pirtle@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-www
Dear PostgreSQL Users and Developers,

We would like to propose the following design as the basis for a new
postgresql.org.

http://treehou.se/~emily/postgresql_design_proposal.png

We are submitting this proposal as we, and many other users and
developers, feel that the current site portrays PostgreSQL in a less
than flattering light.

Whilst the beta concept design is a great improvement upon the existing
site, we believe that our design proposal conveys a professional image
and portrays PostgreSQL as distinct amongst open source projects that
use a similar look and feel to the beta site.

Additionally, this proposal focuses on reducing information overload,
providing a clean interface while simplifying and consolidating the vast
amount of material on the site.

A survey of users and colleagues suggests that there may be interest in
adopting this design, and so, we would like to know if there is interest
amongst pgsql-www and pgsql-advocacy.

We are willing to move forward with the design of the rest of the site
if there is some interest in our proposal. We estimate that full
migration and consolidation of current content and sites would take
approximately one month, if not less, using a content management system
to ease administration and maintenance. The main site can be finished in
line with the release of PostgreSQL 8, which I understand is a couple of
weeks away.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards,
Omar Kilani