Re: Any plans on allowing user-defined triggers to be deferrable? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Mascari
Subject Re: Any plans on allowing user-defined triggers to be deferrable?
Date
Re: Any plans on allowing user-defined triggers to be  (Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com>)
List pgsql-general
Stephan Szabo wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Mike Mascari wrote:
>

>>I'd like to ensure that the creation of a department also implies the
>>creation of two to eight projects; no more, no less:

>>Is there no way to achieve the above stated goal in the server? Must I
>>rely on the application to enforce consistency?
>

> Well.  It's not exactly meant to be a user facing feature, but check out
> CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER.

Thanks, Stephan!

I read the disclaimer "It is not intended for general use" but am
curious as to why it isn't a user-facing feature? Is it a function of
just exposing a cleaner SQL interface, or is it a function of the
trigger queue having been written after user-defined triggers, or is
there some philosophical argument against allowing user-definable
triggers to be deferred?

At any rate, it looks like precisely what I need.

Thanks!

Mike Mascari