Re: removing idle connections - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gary Doades
Subject Re: removing idle connections
Date
List pgsql-general
On 19 Oct 2004 at 13:32, Josh Close wrote:

> The provider is corelabs. The programmer that wrote the code says he's
> closing the connections, but they aren't actually closing.
>
> Any ideas? Or better yet, do you know of a good postgres .net provider?

Hmm, I've had lots of problems with the Corelabs provider. The open
source provider (Npgsql) available on GBorg is a lot better for most
things.

I reverted to using the ODBC driver for Postgres with the .NET Odbc
provider. Works fine.

With connection pooling enabled you will see several "idle" connections
around waiting to be re-used by a provider connection supplying the
same credentials and options as a "disconnected" pooled-but-idle
connection. If you connect with a different username/password
everytime then this may be a problem, otherwise it is a big performance
gain in the disconnected recordset world of .NET.

Cheers,
Gary.