Re: First set of OSDL Shared Mem scalability results, some wierdness - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Gaetano Mendola
Subject Re: First set of OSDL Shared Mem scalability results, some wierdness
Date
List pgsql-performance
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm hoping that some of you can shed some light on this.
>
> I've been trying to peg the "sweet spot" for shared memory using OSDL's
> equipment.   With Jan's new ARC patch, I was expecting that the desired
> amount of shared_buffers to be greatly increased.  This has not turned out to
> be the case.
>
> The first test series was using OSDL's DBT2 (OLTP) test, with 150
> "warehouses".   All tests were run on a 4-way Pentium III 700mhz 3.8GB RAM
> system hooked up to a rather high-end storage device (14 spindles).    Tests
> were on PostgreSQL 8.0b3, Linux 2.6.7.

I'd like to see these tests running using the cpu affinity capability in order
to oblige a backend to not change CPU during his life, this could drastically
increase the cache hit.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola