Re: BUG #17924: Inverted behavior of "Date" and "Reverse Date" when searching a mailbox archive - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #17924: Inverted behavior of "Date" and "Reverse Date" when searching a mailbox archive
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> When changing the order of the result set from "Rank" to "Reverse Date" I
> observed that "Date" gives the results from newest to oldest while "Reverse
> Date" gives them from oldest to newest.
> This seems to me a mismatch and quite confusing.
> The semantics of Date and Reverse Date should be corrected (exchanged)

It's been like that for a decade or two, and you are the first to
complain AFAIR.  Changing it at this point would doubtless add a
lot more confusion than it subtracts.

We could perhaps change to some other terms entirely, like
"Newest First" and "Oldest First", but I'm not convinced that
that's an improvement either.

            regards, tom lane