Re: windows shared memory error - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: windows shared memory error
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 12:59 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>>
>> It strikes me that we really need to try reconnecting to the shared memory
>> here several times, and maybe the backoff need to increase each time. On a
>> loaded server this cause postgres to fail to restart fairly reliably.
>
> At the risk of sounding predictable, +1. Maybe try 5 times, repeating
> at 1, 2, 4 & 8 seconds? Any longer seems like it will be a genuine
> failure (so does 8 seconds in fact, but I don't suppose it'll hurt to
> try).

Do we have any idea why "it may take a short while before it gets
dropped from the global namespace"? Is there some demon running which
only wakes up periodically? Or any specific reason it takes so long?
That might give us a clue exactly how long to sleep for.

Is there any way to tell Windows to wake up and do its job? Or to
block until its done?

--
greg