Re: version upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gaetano Mendola
Subject Re: version upgrade
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck wrote:

> Which is another point I was about to ask. How do these people, running
> those huge and horribly important databases, ever test a single
> application change? Or any schema changes for that matter. Do they
> really type "psql -c 'alter table ...' proddb" and believe they are
> professional users because they know what they are doing?

I do alter table, but of course before to do it, I run my regression test
on a database with almost no data inside. Each stored procedure is tested
in order to execute each execution path.
In 3 years working in this way I had no a singol failure after an alter
schema operation.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola