Re: time_t timezone - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Reini Urban
Subject Re: time_t timezone
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane schrieb:
> Reini Urban <rurban@x-ray.at> writes:
>>Yes, they are talking about the localtime return value,
>>but nevertheless the newlib folks refer to that. Their fault.
>
>>Should I discuss that with them?
>
> Probably.  They have a gratuitous variation from the Single Unix Spec.
>
>>>But what may be more to the point is that AFAICS we make no assumption
>>>about the exact datatype of the timezone variable.
>
>>Bruce' patch only assumes time_t on CYGWIN and it is only for pgtypeslib
>>(src/interfaces/ecpg/pgtypeslib/dt.h). Not for src/timezone/pgtz.c

> Per my recent post in pghackers, I think that the datatype has nothing
> to do with it anyway.  The real problem is the loss of this code that
> was in pg_config_manual.h in 7.4 and before:
>
> /*
>  * Define this if your operating system has _timezone rather than timezone
>  */
> #if defined(__CYGWIN__) || defined(WIN32)
> #define HAVE_INT_TIMEZONE        /* has int _timezone */
> #define HAVE_UNDERSCORE_TIMEZONE 1
> #endif
>
> I'm inclined to just put it back, rather than adding a configure test
> that we never needed before.

Fine with me. I'm just doing the cygwin packaging.
And I can apply my cast to the pgtz.c code by myself also.
But upstream would be better.

I just wanted that you are aware of that. The configure test was more
general and similar to other packages (tcl, php).
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/