Re: log_filename_prefix --> log_filename + strftime() - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: log_filename_prefix --> log_filename + strftime()
Date
List pgsql-patches
On 8/27/2004 2:41 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Ed L." <pgsql@bluepolka.net> writes:
>> On Friday August 27 2004 12:08, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> [ justification please ]
>
>> Yes, should have said more on that item.  First, I didn't see how to easily
>> make it configurable in combination with strftime() without doing more
>> work, and it didn't appear to be worth the effort.  By its addition,
>> hard-coding the PID into the filename deviates from what I would argue is
>> the de facto standard of Apache's rotatelogs and forces a naming convention
>> where none existed before.  That creates work for us as we have a
>> considerable infrastructure setup to deal with logs; I suspect that may be
>> the case with others.  I looked, but did not find, justification for why it
>> was introduced; I would assume it was added to allow for multiple
>> postmasters sharing the same log directory.  I had difficulty fathoming the
>> usefulness of this being hard-coded, as it seems one could compensate
>> easily through the configurable 'log_filename' if one chose to share a log
>> directory among postmasters.  Not by including the PID, but by some other
>> postmaster-unique naming approach.  Given its a new 'feature', I'm hoping
>> it can be altered to return the freedom of filenaming to the administrator.
>
> Or you could use different log_directory settings for different PMs.
> Fair enough.
>
> Anyone else have an opinion pro or con about this change?  IMHO it's in
> the gray area between bug fix and feature addition.  If we want to do
> it, though, doing it now is certainly better than holding it for 8.1,
> since by then people would have gotten used to the present behavior.

Which is thw way we have treated things the like before. I remember that
by the time lztext was in the backend we knew already about toast in the
next release and therefore discouraged the use. This is not possible
here, so I say do the change now.

Jan