Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>No, as Slony-I is not bundled with, or has anything to do with, this
>>release ... Slony-I is a seperate, independent project developed by a
>>commercial entity (Afilias) and released Open Source very early in its
>>lifecycle ...
>>

>Well, it is open source and BSD licensed, so that is good enough for me.
>
>Mentioning commerical replication solutions when we have just-as-good
>open source ones makes no sense.  At this point, Slony is the main
>PostgreSQL open source master/slave replication solution and we should
>promote it if we can.

I agree to some extent.  But only Slony-I by name accomplishes that
goal.  The issue for me is that mentioning commercial solutions does
something to indicate that PostgreSQL is a live and vibrant product with
commercial software built on top of it.  Basically it indicates that we
are a larger community than any one project.

Also there is a fine line between promotion and endorsement, and I am
hearing that many people are uncomfortable endorsing Slony-I as *the*
PostgreSQL replication solution.  Even a comment like "Other commercial
replication solutions available from other companies" indicates that
this is one among others, but the one which is most worth noting in the
press release.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting