Stored Procedure - Iam totally lost! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marcel Boscher
Subject Stored Procedure - Iam totally lost!
Date
List pgsql-general
Hey guys,

i got a question that bothers me quite a while,
been looking everywhere but found no answer

My idea is to automate this procedure for better performance...

Can anybody in here tell me if its possible to auto create
a 4 digit randomly code 1st digit alpha 2nd -4th numeric
that gets looked up in the db if its there new code is generated
if its not give the code back to my php proggy?
I would like to do it in PostGreSQl with a stored procedure

Any Help would be appreciated, since iam totally lost...
Thx in advance