Re: Autovacuum Integration Patch Take 5 - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: Autovacuum Integration Patch Take 5
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew@zeut.net> writes:
>

> You're headed in the right direction, but I'm afraid we're running out
> of time.  The core committee has chewed this over and agreed that we
> can't postpone beta for the amount of time we think it will take to make
> this patch committable.  So we're going to hold it over for the 8.1
> release cycle.

IMHO releasing 8.0 without autovacuum will lead to vastly increased
traffic on support lists, because many (most?) win32 users will fail to
setup a vacuum for themselves; they are much less used to have some
maintenance tasks on a server than linux users. This might become a
nightmare for the community.

I'd opt for including integrated autovacuum in Beta2, despite the
maximum violation of feature freeze/beta release policies.

Regards,
Andreas