Re: psql's EDITOR behavior on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: psql's EDITOR behavior on Windows
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> Pavlo Golub <pavlo.golub@cybertec.at> writes:
>> I cannot find the reason why EDITOR value on Windows is quoted.

> The comment you quoted explains it: apparently people expect
> paths-with-spaces to work in that value without any manual quoting.

Actually, after digging in the git history and archives, the current
behavior seems to trace back to a discussion on pgsql-hackers on
2004-11-15.  The thread linkage in the archives seems rather incomplete,
but it boiled down to this:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/9045.1100539151%40sss.pgh.pa.us

ie, the argument that people could handle space-containing paths by
putting double quotes into the environment variable's value is just wrong.
Possibly Microsoft fixed that in the fifteen years since, but I'd want to
see some proof.