Re: PostgreSQL Win32 GUI installer beta - Mailing list pgsql-hackers-win32

From Thomas Swan
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Win32 GUI installer beta
Date
List pgsql-hackers-win32
Magnus Hagander wrote:

>The first beta release of the MSI based GUI installer for the native
>win32 port of postgresql has been uploaded to pgfoundry!
>
>While this is a beta version of the installer, please note that the
>actual postgresql version being installed is still a development
>snapshot! View the release notes for more details.

Forgive me if I play the devil's advocate.

I had some problems installing it on a clean win32 box.   The test
computer had neither cygwin nor mingw installed (windows xp).

The installation process worked as it should; however, the screen
requiring the logon account for postgres does not give an entirely
useful error.    I had created a limited account as a user would have
been expected to do ( help screen or hint could be useful here).   I
kept getting a user could not log in with sufficient rights error.   I
would suggest telling the installer the account needs the "run as
service" privilege.   The old "pg_ctl register ..." command adjusted the
login account accordingly, but I see that has been removed.  Once, the
program opens the command prompt to initdb the postgres.exe process dies
continuously with no error message.   Eventually, I had to close the
command prompt and cancel the installation process.