PG_VERSION" is missing - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Jeff Shearer, CISA, CISSP
Subject PG_VERSION" is missing
Date
List pgsql-novice
I have begun installing software from source and to make matters more complicated, this is the first time I have worked with postgresql.  I have worked through a few problems but am now stuck with this error:

FATAL:  "/usr/local/etc/pgsql" is not a valid data directory
DETAIL:  File "/usr/local/etc/pgsql/PG_VERSION" is missing.

I searched for PG_VERSION to no avail using the following command:

# find / -name PG_VERSION -print

Apparently this is not an element within postgresql.conf either.

I inadvertently deleted the install log.

I have tried to find out what should be in the data directory but was unsuccessful.

I am using FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE #0: Fri Feb 18 02:24:46 UTC 2011 and built
I am using postgres (PostgreSQL) 9.2.1

Please advise.

Thanks,

Jeff Shearer, CISA, CISSP
TrustedTechPro, LLC
(703) 615-6997
http://www.linkedin.com/in/shearerjeff
This message may contain information that is legally sensitive. This messages is intended only for the recipient. Forwarding this message to other recipients is not authorized. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender by replying to the sending email address. This message may include trademarks owned by TrustedTechPro, LLC.