Re: Adding column comment to information_schema.columns - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: Adding column comment to information_schema.columns
Date
Re: Adding column comment to information_schema.columns  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> There's a whole lot of difference between the skill level needed to
> query the information_schema and find out things like table and column
> names, vs looking into pg_namespace, pg_class and pg_attribute plus
> understanding the specific info there to work out table and column names.
>
> I reckon that having information "pre-prepared" in views like those in
> information_schema is "of course" going to be easier for people than
> "raw" information our internal catalogs.
>
> Do you get where I'm coming from with this?

Yes, but I disagree.  Your opinion is as an experienced user anyway, and
you're just putting words in novice mouths...

We've never had someone complain about querying stuff like that.  For
example, why do you need the comments on columns?

Chris