Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Rawnsley
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
List pgsql-general
If you have no control over the running postmasters, then where the
files are stored gives you no advantage at all either
for backup or security. Backing up physical files while the postmaster
running is asking for it; this is explained every three days
or so on the lists. (that should be part of some consent form for using
PG...'I acknowledge that copying physical files while
the postmaster is running is ineffective, will get me in trouble, and
promote both moral degradation and tooth decay. Please don't ask.').

As for security...the data cluster is created with 700 permissions,
owned by the postgres super-user, and the postmaster will not
even start up if the directory permissions are set otherwise.

Personally, I wouldn't trust a sysad/dba at an ISP who gave me
sufficient rights to create, say, Oracle tablespaces willy-nilly. That
would fit your
example of lazy and lax administration. (Apologies for using the 'O'
word...)

We're back into the mindset of an RDBMS being thought of as some sort
of FoxPro-on-steroids thing. That is not what Postgres, Oracle,
Sybase, etc. are.