Re: stderr & win32 admin check - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: stderr & win32 admin check
Date
List pgsql-patches
Dave Page wrote:

>>>It could still be run on NT4 under the following conditions:
>>>1) Running as a service
>>>2) Running if the user logged in is not an administrator.
>>>

>>Well, isn't "running as a service" sufficient?  I thought
>>that was the only interesting case for non-hackers anyway.
>>
>>As long as you get an error message that's reasonably clear
>>about what you can do instead, this hardly seems like a showstopper...
>>

>Well, that's kinda the point. If you are a hacker who has local admin
>privs (not exactly unusual on Windows networks - in some cases Power
>User group membership is required to run legacy software),

Not only legacy software...

> you *cannot*
>run PostgreSQL except as a service, thus potentially making it a show
>stopper for those users.

Actually I wouldn't expect a server to run as anything else but a
service. Running a server from a command line is for debugging purposes
only (in the win32 world).
Thus I'd consider the non-admin check as acceptable, while quite
irritating for most win32 users.

Many win32 servers create an own account on installation or suggest to
do so (instead of using the "Local System" account), this could make
things more convenient for the average win32 user.

Regards,
Andreas

Regards,
Andreas