C_LOCALE vs. UTF8 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dennis Gearon
Subject C_LOCALE vs. UTF8
Date
List pgsql-general
HMMMMmmmm......,

There was a post running about using C_LOCALE is the only way to use
LIKE, and I put something similar to the below in comment to it. It
never showed up on the list. Oh well.

If I wanted a multinational database capable of many langauges,and
wanted the most functionality of sorts, order bys, indexes, LIKE, etc,
what is the best encooding?
I would have THOUGHT it would be UTF8, but maybe C_LOCALE?

Is there a chart somewhere showing the main differences between using
C_LOCALE and any other encoding?  A nice simple table in the manual
would be really nice. If you give me the particulars, I'll write the table.