Re: pg_dump and schema namespace notes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: pg_dump and schema namespace notes
Date
List pgsql-general
Bruce Momjian wrote:
Any comments on this?  It seems like a valid confusion.  What solutions
are there?
A common interchangeable title for schema is namespace and in actuality we use \dn in psql (\dnamespace)
to list them.

Perhaps we should change the name? I believe Oracle uses the term namespace as well.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
I think this is a suggestion/comment!

pg_dump man page:
     --schema-only             Dump only the schema (data definitions), no data

I think this use of the word schema is confusing, meaning data
definitions, whereas elsewhere in the man page schema are used as a
namespace definition.
      --schema=schema             Dump the contents of schema only. If this option is  not             speci- fied,  all  non-system  schemas  in  the target             database will be dumped

It would be nice if this could be a comman separated list (like set
search_path; A,info,public etc).

Rory
--
Rory Campbell-Lange