Re: [HACKERS] Slony-I goes BETA (possible bug) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Slony-I goes BETA (possible bug)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 6/6/2004 5:21 AM, Jeff Davis wrote:
> I have two nodes, node 1 and node 2.
>
> Both are working with node 1 as the master, and data from subscribed
> tables is being properly replicated to node 2.
>
> However, it looks like there's a possible bug with sequences. First let
> me explain that I don't entirely understand how a replicated sequence is
> expected to behave, but as far as this report is concerned, I assume
> that if you do a nextval() on node 1, than "SELECT last_value FROM
> test_seq" on node 2 will return the updated value.
>
> It looks like the sequence value is not updated on node 2, until some
> other event happens, like doing an UPDATE on a replicated table on node
> 1.

You are right. The "local" slon node checks every "-s" milliseconds
(commandline switch) if the sequence sl_action_seq has changed, and if
so generate a SYNC event. Bumping a sequence alone does not cause this,
only operations that invoke the log trigger on replicated tables do.

Speaking of this, this would also mean that there is a gap between the
last sl_action_seq bumping operation and the commit of that transaction.
If the local slon will generate the sync right in that gap, the changes
done in that transaction will not be replicated until the next
transaction triggers another sync.

I am not sure how to effectively avoid this problem without blindly
creating SYNC events in a maybe less frequent interval. Suggestions?

Jan