Re: Relocatable installs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Relocatable installs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck wrote:

> If I remore the whole -rpath thing, and remove the two -L options and
> the -lpq and -lpgport, and add the libpq.a and libpgport.a explicitly
> to the linker call, the psql executable on my Linux box grows from
> 421761 to 677682 bytes in size. It is still shared linked against
> libc, libz, libreadline and a bunch of otheres, but all of them are in
> /lib or /usr/lib, so they are standard or system libraries. It does
> not depend on a libpq.so any more, and that is what we want.

One of the reasons I originally suggested an explicit 'relocatable'
config option was worry about the rpath thing. Maybe I should have
raised red flags a bit more ;-)

Static linking against libpq would have considerable advantages for the
Windows port (see recent discussion regarding library search paths on
W32 on the w32-hackers list).

cheers

andrew