Re: add server include files to default installation? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: add server include files to default installation?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Sat, 15 May 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>> Fabien COELHO wrote:
>> >
>> > Dear hackers,
>> >
>> > I wish to submit a small patch so that server includes and
>> > all necessary configuration files could be installed *by default*.
>> >
>> > The current status is that server includes files are only installed
>> > if explicitly required (make install-all-headers).
>> >
>> > The idea is that external extension modules (new types or whatever)
>> > could then *rely* on the fact that these files are available, which
>> > would make developping and installing these extensions quite easier.
>> >
>> > As an illustration, the apache software installs by default all
>> > necessary includes and even a special tailored command (apxs) so as
>> > to help extension modules to be compiled, installed and even configured
>> > easilly.
>> >
>> > Is there any opposition to this move? Silence will mean consent;-)
>>
>> Agreed.  I would also like to see Makefile.global installed.
>> pg_config.h has C-level configs, and Makefile.global has the
>> Makefile-level configs.
>
> Don't agree with Makefile.global, cause then you have to also install the
> physical template files for the various operating system too, no?  What
> else does Makefile.global rely on?

Depending on the OS you also need funny things like mkldexport shell
scripts and the like. I thought we had a consensus of providing a
template build environment for external modules. This half-baked attempt
is not doing it. The makefiles make assumptions about their location
that aren't true any more when they're installed somewhere else.

Jan