Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>Why is it our responsibility to ensure that though?  Shouldn't the
>developer (or group of developers) responsible for the
>PL/interface/extension be responsible for that?
>
>Let's use plPHP as an example here ... I'm going to guess that it supports
>PHP4, which is the 'standard' right now ... what about PHP5?  If not, what
>happens in 3 months if/when that support is added?  Do ppl using PHP5 have
>to wait until the next release of PostgreSQL before they can use it?

Actually this is a pretty good example. Yes right now it supports PHP4,
it will support PHP5 when PHP5 is ready.
And of course, no they would not have to wait. They could download and
patch against the current
source tree...

>The thing is, whether as part of core, or as a seperate project, *any*
>pl/interface/extension has to be maintained in order to be in sync ... if
>done as a seperate  project, in parallel with core, it is at least
>possible to release on their own timelines in order to correct bugs, or
>add features ... as part of core, new features/bug fixes have to wait for
>all of core to be released ...

Well actually no, because of the above mentioned. Even if plPHP is on
pgFoundry... there is no
reason why a README couldn't be included in the src/pl/plphp directory
that says: look here
for the latest release etc...

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake