Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Mario Weilguni wrote:
>>Interesting.
>>We have made COMPLETELY different experiences.
>>
>>There is one question people ask me daily: "When can we have sychronous
>>replication and PITR?".
>>Performance is not a problem here. People are more interested in
>>stability and "enterprise" features such as those I have mentioned above.
>

> I doubt that. Having deployed several 7.4 databases, the first customers ask
> (of course not in technical speech, but in the meaning) when the problem with
> checkpoint hogging system down is solved. This is a really serious issue,
> especially when using drbd + ext3.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well that seems to be part of the problem. ext3 does not scale well at
all under load. You should probably upgrade to a better FS (like XFS). I
am not saying that your point isn't valid (it is) but upgrading to a
better FS will help you.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

The system will become really unresponsive
> when checkpoint is running.
>
> I heavily await 7.5 because of the background writer.

Attachment