Re: add server include files to default installation? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Hallgren
Subject Re: add server include files to default installation?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Fabien COELHO wrote:
> Dear hackers,
>
> I wish to submit a small patch so that server includes and
> all necessary configuration files could be installed *by default*.
>
> The current status is that server includes files are only installed
> if explicitly required (make install-all-headers).
>
> The idea is that external extension modules (new types or whatever)
> could then *rely* on the fact that these files are available, which
> would make developping and installing these extensions quite easier.
>
> As an illustration, the apache software installs by default all
> necessary includes and even a special tailored command (apxs) so as
> to help extension modules to be compiled, installed and even configured
> easilly.
>
> Is there any opposition to this move? Silence will mean consent;-)
>
> Thanks in advance, have a nice day,

If the intention is that external extension types should be able to
build using the default installation you must also include the
src/Makefile.global and the src/Makefile.shlib. Cygwin ports are
dependent on the presence of src/utils/dllinit.c also (perhaps true for
win32 too). A dllinit.o would be sufficient of course.

Kind regards,

Thomas Hallgren