Re: Quad processor options - summary - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From James Thornton
Subject Re: Quad processor options - summary
Date
List pgsql-performance
Bjoern Metzdorf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> at first, many thanks for your valuable replies. On my quest for the
> ultimate hardware platform I'll try to summarize the things I learned.

> This is what I am considering the ultimate platform for postgresql:
>
> Hardware:
> Tyan Thunder K8QS board
> 2-4 x Opteron 848 in NUMA mode
> 4-8 GB RAM (DDR400 ECC Registered 1 GB modules, 2 for each processor)
> LSI Megaraid 320-2 with 256 MB cache ram and battery backup
> 6 x 36GB SCSI 10K drives + 1 spare running in RAID 10, split over both
> channels (3 + 4) for pgdata including indexes and wal.

You might also consider configuring the Postgres data drives for a RAID
10 SAME configuration as described in the Oracle paper "Optimal Storage
Configuration Made Easy"
(http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/availability/pdf/oow2000_same.pdf). Has
anyone delved into this before?

--