Re: creating index names automatically? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: creating index names automatically?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> ?> Well still in the realm of overthinking.... Is there anything to be
>> gained by having a class of reserved word which can be used for
>> columns but not relations?
>
> If there were more than a single member of the class, I might think
> it was worth the trouble ...

Er, that was kind of my question. I kind of have the impression that
we've reserved things in the past that were somewhat close decisions
but only because people could conceivably have had columns by those
names but they would never have had tables or indexes by those names.

A quick glace at the list shows relatively few that actually need to
be barred from columns. I could easily see people wanting to use
columns named LEFT and RIGHT or VERBOSE.  I suppose they've been there
for a long time already though.

--
greg