Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Ron Mayer<rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com> wrote:
> 1. For ethical analysts,

Ethical analysts go into other lines of work.

Seriously I'm not saying analysts are necessarily "for sale" to write
anything, true or not. They might very well be writing honest accurate
reports. They just aren't going to write the report which concludes
that Postgres is the best product since nobody will pay for it.
They'll write some other report instead that some paying customer
commissions.

The best we can hope for is that we could block an ethical analyst
from writing a report which would have been negative for us by giving
them information which shows they're wrong. But we're never going to
be the best at *everything* so they'll just aim the report at the
features which paint their clients positively anyways.

If you guys are really this excited to talk to PR industry people I
suggest you restrict yourselves to industry rag journalists rather
than analysts. At least they don't have an axe to grind except to
write an interesting narrative.

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf