Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 12:48 AM, David Fetter<david@fetter.org> wrote:
> Sometimes, these decision-makers' hair is pretty pointy, and it's for
> this case when having some PHB-friendly material can really, really
> help.  This means getting our story out to the Foresters of the world,
> repugnant as that may seem to you.

It's not that it's repugnant, it's that it just ain't going to happen.
The Forresters and Gartners of the world can make a whole lot more
money selling reports that are complimentary to Microsoft and Oracle.
A report which ends up saying users can get something better for less
money is worse than worthless to them, it's a threat to their
business. If their data led to that conclusion the report would never
see the light of day. If you give them any data or quotes it will only
come back to hurt you, as Redhat learned.

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf