Re: [ SOLVED ] select count(*) very slow on an already - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: [ SOLVED ] select count(*) very slow on an already
Date
List pgsql-performance
Rajesh Kumar Mallah wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The problem was solved by reloading the Table.
> the query now takes only 3 seconds. But that is
> not a solution.

If dropping/recreating the table improves things, then we can reasonably
assume that the table is pretty active with updates/inserts.  Correct?

> The  problem is that such phenomenon obscures our
> judgement  used in optimising queries and database.

Lots of phenomenon obscure that ...

> If a query runs slow we really cant tell if its a problem
> with query itself , hardware or dead rows.
>
> I already did vacumm full on the table but it still did not
> have that effect on performance.
> In fact the last figures were after doing a vacuum full.

If the data gets too fragmented, a vacuum may not be enough.  Also, read
up on the recommendations _against_ vacuum full (recommending only using
vacuum on databases)  With full, vacuum condenses the database, which may
actually hurt performance.  A regular vacuum just fixes things up, and
may leave unused space lying around.  However, this should apparently
achieve a balance between usage and vacuum.  See the docs, they are much
better at describing this than I am.

> Can there be any more elegent solution to this problem.

As a guess, look into CLUSTER (a Postgres SQL command).  CLUSTER will
basically recreate the table while ordering rows based on an index.
(this might benefit you in other ways as well)  Don't forget to analyze
after cluster.  If the problem is caused by frequent updates/inserts,
you may find that re-clustering the table on a certain schedule is
worthwhile.

Be warned, this suggestion is based on an educated guess, I make no
guarantees that it will help your problem.  Read the docs on cluster
and come to your own conclusions.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies