Re: PG vs MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: PG vs MySQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Gregory Wood wrote:
> Jan Wieck wrote:
>> If you don't know the answers to that, I assume it isn't that easy as
>> people try to make believe. And in case the answer is "that is not
>> possible but ...", then you better think again what you want that
>> replication setup for.
>
> Although I agree with your points (especially having set up
> contrib/dbmirror in the past, and anticipating Slony all the more
> because of that experience), I would like to point out that
> failover/high-availability is not the only reason to set up replication.
> Lots of people just want the ability to load balance between several
> servers.

Exactly. And as you have correctly read between the lines, my real point
is that people are looking at replication from different points of view
and that everyone sees a different benefit from it, or a different set
of problems solved by it. And because of that, a statement like "the
ease of setting up replication" is a marketing phrase that has no value.

Jan