Re: PG vs MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex
Subject Re: PG vs MySQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Marc,
I guess we both agree that postgress is in no way as popular with web
hosting companies as MySql (even though you know of 3 such providers
which most likely at the same time also offer MySQL), and I believe with
good reasons as it is more complex than MySQL and most of the
administrators and support stuff are not no dbas either.

I am in no way lobbying for MySQL as I also like to work with Postgres
and have used it for a few years now. It not only saved me and my
clients a lot of money by opting for Postgres instead of Sybase or
Oracle but it is also fun to work with it.

The argument for one or the other probably has been discussed here for
the past 5 years and most likely both dbs will at one point cover the
same functionality or really become specialized for a particular market
segment.

Uwe in a mail mentioned his so called "fake type of hybrid license like
MySQL". I wonder if postgres isn't following the same (natural) path (of
the money).